Crystal Annang

Crystal Annang
Life will pay whatever price you ask of it. Quote: Tony Robbins

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Estimating Costs and Allocating Resource- Weblinks WK5BLOG

The eLearningcoach: Tips, advice and reviews for online learning


http://theelearningcoach.com/business/how-to-avoid-project-failure/

This blog answers many of the questions I have posed myself while studying in the Instructional Design field and answers them in a clear manner. The majority of the questions are related to being a Project Manager and how to deal with clients, superiors, and your team. Robyn states “The more self-managed we are the more chances we have of being recognized as a leader”. When I read this I realized as online students we are self-managed and therefore on the path to being great leaders.



Real World Project Management: Estimating Your Project Costs

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=383854

This site notes that there are three important estimate types: Ballpark estimates, budget of top-down estimate, definite or bottom-down estimate. The site explains what types are crucial for a Project Manager to rely on and explains each including examples. This is a great tool for beginner Instructional Designers who are learning about the project management process.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Crystal,

    I especially liked the second of your two offerings this week. The article reference you posted really breaks cost estimation down into an understandable form. I like the three categories: ROM, Top-down, and Bottom-UP. I know these three methods are also mentioned in our course text, but this article expands the concepts further. I also like the way the WBS is really defined. It elevates its importance to me. I think in the best of all worlds, a company or organization should consider employing all these methods together when coming up with cost estimation. I realize that this would take up time and incur administrative costs, but I think the net result would be worth it! Thanks for the great references!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Crystal,

    Great examples, I actually booked marked them so I will have them for future use to look back on. I really liked that one article where the guy compares project management to a Lyle Lovett song, it make for an easy read and also helped explain the top-down method to me.

    Great references!

    ReplyDelete