Crystal Annang

Crystal Annang
Life will pay whatever price you ask of it. Quote: Tony Robbins

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Reflection on Distance Learning

George Siemens explains in this week’s video, the acceptance of distance education by society as a whole is due to the increase in online communication, practical experience with new tools, growing comfort with online discourse, and the ability to communicate with diverse and global groups (Laureate Education, Inc., n.d.b.). The notion of distance is not the same as it was a few years ago due to the new technology we are realizing that we can now participate in conversations globally. Education has become a global interactive option for corporations and education. As new technologies have improved educational options are growing in the online environment.


My perceptions of distance learning are constantly evolving as my knowledge of interactive media expands. The views I had of how could I implement a course and fill it with interactive stimulating options for my learner’s changes on a weekly basis. We are asked to look at the future of online education 10-20 years from now and I see a future where online education is the norm and face-to-face becomes the antiquated form public education still uses. Online education will is becoming a highly sought out form of education for adult learners in various fields. I foresee both private and public institutions utilizing online learning to save time, money, and expand their reach.

As a designer it is important to be a proponent for improving the perceptions of distance learning. As such an advocate I will continue to build my own knowledge of available educational solutions through collaboration, education, and research. I will offer peers support and guidance in learning how to utilize new tools and technologies and long with accepting support and guidance. My personal technology blog and website will be building blocks to aide in my development of larger projects as I start my career.

Working as a positive force in the field of distance education involves continuous personal growth and skill develop in the field of Instructional Design Technology. I will need to offer support, guidance and training backed by research and practical practice in the field. To be a true leader I will need to join groups, utilize new skills, and actively work to spread the knowledge that Online Learning and Instructional Design open the door to education that might other be closed to many learners.



Resources:

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (n.d.b.). The future of distance education [Multimedia]. Distance Learning. Retrieved from Week eight resources.
Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (n.d.c.). Theory and distance learning [Multimedia]. Distance Learning. Retrieved from Week Two resources.
Simonson, M., Smaldino, S., Albright, M., & Zvacek, S. (2009). Teaching and learning at a distance: Foundations of distance education (4th ed.) Boston, MA: Pearson.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Crystal:
    Just to let you know I am following your post.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crystal:

    I look forward to collaborating with you the next eight weeks.

    David Hill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Crystal,

    Looking forward to sharing experiences during this project management course.

    ReplyDelete